Kramer AV TP-574
The Kramer TP-574 HDMI, Bi-Directional RS-232 & IR over Twisted Pair Receiver is a device designed to accept converted HDMI signals and control commands transmitted through twisted pair cables, such as Cat 5 cables. It then converts these signals back into HDMI, RS-232, and IR formats for output to a display device. When used in conjunction with a Kramer TP-573 transmitter (which is not included), the TP-574 receiver effectively extends the range of an HDMI source, enabling it to reach a display located at a significant distance within a facility.
Unlike HDMI cables, which typically have a limited range of around 50 feet, Cat 5 cables can transmit high-quality HDTV video and associated audio signals over much longer distances, spanning hundreds of feet. The exact transmission range of the TP-574 system depends on factors like the signal resolution, graphics card, display, and the type of cables used. Kramer has conducted tests using their own cables. With a shielded BC-DGKat524 cable, the TP-574 receiver can receive signals from up to 295 feet away at 1080i or up to 98 feet at 1080p. If a shielded BC-DGKat623 cable is used, the range extends to 295 feet at 1080i or up to 230 feet at 1080p. When employing a shielded BC-DGKat723 cable, the range reaches up to 330 feet at 1080i or up to 295 feet at 1080p.
The TP-574 offers support for bi-directional RS-232 and infrared signals, allowing, for instance, a computer source to both control and receive data from a display device located hundreds of feet away. Control signals are received alongside converted video and audio signals over the twisted pair cable and are then sent to the display device. In addition, by supporting HDMI, the TP-574 can output video and multi-channel audio to an HDMI display, such as a plasma or LCD flat-panel TV or a computer monitor.
Some key points to note about the TP-574 system:
- The use of shielded twisted pair cables is essential.
- Power is supplied from the optional transmitter end, eliminating the need for a separate power supply.
- The device is compatible with HDTV and HDMI 1.4 specifications, including support for 3D pass-through, Deep Color, x.v.Color, Lip Sync, HDMI Uncompressed Audio Channels, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD.
- It passes EDID and HDCP signals from the source to the display.
- It also passes Hot Plug Detect (HPD) signals from the display device to the source.
- The Power Connect feature enables both the receiver and transmitter (not included) to draw power from the transmitter’s 12 VDC power source when they are within 150 feet of each other, provided the cable can transmit power.
- The TP-573 / TP-574 system enters standby mode when the HDMI input is not connected.
- You can rack mount three similar-sized units side-by-side in a 1U rack space using an optional RK-3T adapter (not included).